Broken mirror - superstition?
Mirror is a glass materiel which reflects object when it kept in-front of it. Mirrors are used widely in scientific applications but it is integral part in every house for personal grooming. Only humans,Elephants,Money spices can detect their own image in mirror. That may be one of the reason, Hindus have Elephant god and Money gods.
In Hindu culture it is believed that mirror has a power to seize a part of ones soul. When gods or devils takes another person form or identity, when they contact with mirror it shows original identity or keeps original soul out. This became seed to superstition that mirror shouldn't be broken, broken mirror shouldn't keep in house, mirror which is not showing clear image should be replace and we shouldn't see our face in broken mirror. The person who broke the mirror should face seven years bad luck is popular superstition in western countries.
Hindus believed that mirror is goddess Lakshmi. both indicates unstable. Goddess Lakshmi(money) will not live in one place likewise mirror cannot hold single face.
- When mirror broken particularly on Friday it believed as a bad omen and brings 7years bad luck.
- Broken mirror pieces should be wrapped in a black cloth and buried under a tree to over come bad luck.
- India imported glass from Belgium on ships in sea route.
- Dreaming a broken mirror brings life partners death. dreaming a mirror is state of illusion or pride.
- Our ancients believed our image in mirror is our actual soul.
- Mirrors are made with sand. mirror was made of certain chemical reactions and filtration of Sand. So many centuries back the process is very critical and involved a great work in making a mirror. So mirror is very precious those days, thus superstitions came to handle mirror with great care. The tiny pieces of mirror or splinters went through foot it cause heavy pain and sometimes leads to septic wounds. That is main reason to throw out broken mirror from home.
- Broken mirror brings bad luck is a superstition.The person who cant handle a mirror clearly states that he is not concentrated or restless or in a wrong direction of thinking. A person with clatter of thoughts will not handle precious things and moves in wrong path thus brings bad luck.