Vaisakha Masam is one of the months in Hindu calendar which falls usually in the months of April and May. Vaisakha Masam is the month where the sun will transit into the Taurus zodiac (Vrushaba Rasi) which is called Vrushabha Sankramana. This month is very auspicious for charity (Daanam) and associated with Lord Vishnu. The month is very much known for marriages. It is also named as Madhava masam as Lord Vishnu's is also meant to be known as Madhusudana.
Cultural Beliefs of Vaisakha Masam:
According to the skanda puranam, vaisakha masam is the best among all the other months. In this month, Lord Vishnu appears in three incarnations as Sage Parushurama, Lord Narasimha and Kurma avataram. It is also believed that Treta yuga is formed on shukla tritiya.
In simhachalam, Lord Vishnu gives darshan in the form of “Varaha Narasimha”, which is two forms Varaha and Narasimha. Special celebration called “chandanavostavam” is performed every year on the auspiciouos day of Akshaya tritiya.
People believe that Lord Vishnu take tests of an individual in this month and helps them to attain the aims of their life (dharma, artha, kama and moksha) who follows the rituals of vaisakha masam. This helps them to get good health and wealth. Good deeds such as poojas, yagna and homam have to be conducted in this auspicious month.
Pooja Procedure for Vaisakha Masam:
- Spiritual bath in the brahma muhurta time.
- Worship Lord Vishnu with Krishna Tulasi and Sandalwood paste.
- Recite Sri Vishnu Sahasra Naama Stothram.
- Do parayanam of Srinivasa Kalyanam on Vaisaka Sukla Dasami.
- Read Vaisakha puranam daily.
- Try to water a banyan tree and do pradakshina.
- Service to cows.
- Donating water and Tila Tarpanam.
The important festivals of Vaisakha masam are
- Akshaya Tritiya or Parasurama Jayanthi: Akshay Tritiya comes on the third day of Vaisahka Masam i.e., vaisakha sukla tritya. “Akshaya” means inexhaustible and “Tritiya” means third day. It is also called as Akha Teej. This day is very auspicious for starting new ventures, marriages, business, new constructions, investing, property, applying for jobs etc.
- Sri Padmavathi-Sreenivaasa Kalyanam: This comes on the tenth day ie Vaisakha Sukla Dasami. SriVari Kalyanotsavam(Padmavathi Srinivasa Kalyanam) is performed.
- Sri Nrusimha Jayanthi: This comes on Vaisaka Sukla Chaturdasi. Lord Vishnu is incarnated as Lord Narasimha and killed King Hiranyakashyap to establish dharma and protect the mankind.
- Sri Sanaischara Jayanthi: This comes on Vaisaka Bahula Amaavaasya. Lord Shani was born on this day. People effected by the Sadesati(Elinati shani), Ashtama Shani and who are under the shani dasha or antardasha has to do powerful prayer Sri Narasimha Stuthi to overcome the difficulties.
- Vaisakha saptami is known as Ganga saptami as the holy River Ganges came from the ears of Sage Jaahnu.
- Full moon day of vaisakha masam is known as Maha Vaisakam because the moon will be near to the Visakha Nakshatra and so the masam is named as Vaisakha Masam.
- Performing charities is the good aspect in this month.
- Donation of water, food and clothes are considered as the most prominent charities.
- Bathing in brahma muhurtam time at the sacred rivers and worshipping Lord Vishnu.
- Observing Vishnu Pooja before sunrise will help to remove all the sins committed.
- During Vaisakha Masam in Tirumula Srivari Kalyanotsavam and a special three day festival called as Padmavathi Srinivasa Kalyanam is performed.
- Preforming the kalyanam or participating is very much meritorious.
- Tila Daanam has to be done on Vaisakha Sukla Pournami.
- Charities like food, water, clothes, sandals, umbrella, cow, Land,gold and silver and honey are prescribed.
- Donating water is given high importance from the month starting to till Vaisakha Sukla Dasami.
- Vaisakha month comes in high Summer in India. Every where people face water scarcity and people suffer with heavy thirst. Here comes the tradition to save life's of living organisms in the name of charity.
- Water in the rivers and sea will have many medicinal benefits.
- Bathing tightens the blood vessels and all the exhaust blood and the waste products.
- Doing charity will help the people in needy and some self-satisfaction and helps us to relieve from stress.
- As the month is summer donating water to the needy helps them.