Sri Rama Navami:
Sri Rama navami is a Hindu festival celebrating for Lord Rama birth. Rama Navami comes on Shukla Paksha on the ninth day of chaitra masam.Rama Navami is the ninth day of the chaitra Masam Vasanta Navaratri celebrations. Sri Rama Navami is mainly celebrated at noon time.
In the Epic Ramayana, Ayodhya king Dasaratha had 3 wives named Kausalya, Sumitra and Kaikeyi. They have no children. On the advice of Sage Vashista, they perform putra yagna. King Dasaratha performs the yagna, Yagneshwara appears before the king and gives him a bowl of kheer and asks him to give to the 3 wives. After that the 3 wives became pregnant and on the ninth day kausalya gives birth to Lord Rama (Lord Vishnu 9th incarnation) in the afternoon. Lord Rama has taken birth as per his own will to kill Ravana.
- Lord Rama was born in Punarvasu Nakshatra, navami thiti and the planets Sun, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus were very high in position.
- As per astrologers Lord Rama was born in 5010BC, Feb 10 after checking the stars and epics.
- Mostly temples will celebrate the festival for 9 days after Ugadi(New Year).
- As per Maliki Ramayana, Lord Rama and site marriage was performed Margashirsha Shukla Panchami so people will celebrate Lord Rama and sita kalyanam on this day.
- In Bhadrachalam Temple (Andhra Pradesh) the wedding anniversary is performed.
- In north India Ratha yatra is performed by placing idols of Lord Rama,sita , Lakshmana(brother of Rama) and hanuman.
- People visit temples mainly located at Ayodhya and Rameswaram as these two places are closed related to Lord Rama
- Lord Rama was an ideal son, brother, husband, friend, enemy and King.
- Temples are decorated with flowers and mango leaves.
- Traditional prayers are performed in the temple.
- Devotional Songs, singing Bajans are preformed from morning till afternoon as Lord Rama was born in the afternoon.at that time a special prayer is done.
- Some Devotees fast on this day till the completion of celebrations in the evening.
- Mostly some people will fast through all the nine days of Vasanta Navaratri.
- Panakam (sweet drink prepared with Jaggery and pepper) and vadapappu is kept as Naivedyam to god and the same is distributed at temples to the devotees.
- Even at home also people will do prayers and prepare the food items.
- Rama Raksha Strotram or Sri Rama Asthothram has to be recited eleven times to resolve problems and gain prosperity.
- Sri Rama Ramethi from Vishnu Sahasra Namam has to be recited.
- Rama Navami comes in the beginning of summer time when the sun is in Pisces.
- Fasting on these days has many health benefits. Refer to fasting on this blog.
- Pepper is traditionally used in Ayurveda to heal ailments of headache, stomach and throat.
- Panakam is especially used as a home remedy for cold and cough.
- Jaggery contains iron, minerals and vitamins
- Ginger aids the digestion and helps to relieve stomach ache, promote circulation.
- Ginger if powdered is very useful in motion sickness.
Also check more details about Lord Rama