Mangalsutra is an ornament of a woman denoting her marital status. It is a sacred thread of love and goodwill worn by women as a symbol of their marriage. Each person makes a mangalsutra with a cord of gold or silver, they make it by stringing black beads in a thread.
According to the rites of Hindu culture, there are five signs of marital status of women. They are mangalsutra, Toe rings, Kumkum, bangles and a Nose ring. Mangalsutra is the most important as it means an auspicious thread or cord. Mangalya dharanam is the most important part of a Hindu marriage ceremony. The mangalya which is the Mangalsutra is strung on a yellow thread prepared by using Turmeric paste. It is tied around the bride's neck with three knots means "an auspicious thread which is knotted around the bride's neck".
Why to wear?
- Mangalsutra symbolizes the inseparable bond between a husband and a wife. During the wedding ceremony, the bridegroom ties the mangalsutra to the neck of the bride uttering- “May you live long by wearing this sacred Mangalsutra, the reason of my life”.
- Married women are entitled to wear Mangalsutra throughout their life as it is believed that the practice enhances the well-being of her husband and family and cannot be shown in public.
- Due to the mangalsutra the consciousness of the husband in the form of Shiva remains constantly awakened in the woman.
- Mangalsutra protects the marriage from any evil. Three knots symbolize three different aspects of a married woman - the first knot represents her obedience to her husband, the second to his parents and the third represents her respect for God.
- Mangalsutra which is considered auspicious by the married women as they wear it till their death or their husband's death.
In the center of the mangalsutra there are two cups. The cups should be round and there should be no design on its front. This structure is associated with the Energy of Knowledge.
- Round shape is associated with zero, that is, with the Brahman consisting of void. The ability to absorb and emit the waves of specific level as per the need of the person is more in the round shape compared to the other shapes.
- Round shape is symbolic of Energy of Knowledge.
- Round shape is associated with the Sattva-guna in the form of Shiva-Shakti.
- The central point of the round shape provides waves in the form of striking Shakti (Energy) whereas the raised part is associated with Brahman in the form of Shiva.
The waves of emotions are activated in the Anahat-chakra (heart) of the woman.
- The waves of Energy of Knowledge are attracted towards the circular figure of the voids of the cups of the mangalsutra.
- The waves of Knowledge assimilate the waves of the woman’s emotions.
By this process the woman’s actions (karmas) become non-actions (akarmas), that is, the law of action-and-fruit is not applicable to the karmas done by the woman.
Wearing a mangalsutra helps to reduce black energy waves there is distress like pain, giddiness, restlessness etc. mangalsutra is beaded with black beads and a thin wire of gold. The gold wire destroys the distressing vibrations present in the Universe through its Energy of the Absolute Fire element. The black color of the beads is said to absorb all negative vibrations before they can reach the bride and her family. The stringing together of the beads into one thread has its significance as well. Just as each bead contributes to making a beautiful necklace, so does the woman have to blend and integrate into the new family after marriage." Due to disintegration of the black energy attracted to the black beads, the woman is less affected by evil eye.
- Waves of black energy associated with the Absolute Earth and Water element are attracted to the black beads of the mangalsutra. Through the black beads waves of black energy are emitted in the atmosphere.
- Waves of the Absolute Fire Element in the Universe are attracted to the gold beads of the mangalsutra
- A cover of these waves is generated around the body of the woman.
- A protective sheath is generated around the woman’s body.
- The Sun-channel (Surya-naḍi) of the woman remains in an activated state because of which the Energy Principle inherent in it is awakened.