Seemantham is a pregnant women’s ceremony performed during the seventh month of pregnancy. The ceremony is mainly followed in south India. It is an ancient ritual celebrated by the pregnant woman’s parents to take blessings from elders for safe delivery. This function marks as a celebration for her fertility. Pregnant woman’s desires will be fulfilled by family on this day.
The ceremony is performed to keep the evil spirits away and to have good health. People believe that pregnant lady should listen to “Vishnu Sahasranam”, because the music makes the mind of the pregnant lady mentally relaxed.
- On an auspicious day all the women (friends, relatives) are invited to the seemantham occasion.
- A kalasam (a big pot with water, mango leaves, Grass and Covered by coconut) are kept. The prayers are performed to energize the water by reciting mantras for one hour.
- 'Udakashanthi' - the pregnant lady will take a bath with this holy water.
- The pregnant lady will be dressed up in new clothes, flowers in hair and gold ornaments are decorated. All The elderly women will put bangles (usually red and green color) to the pregnant lady and bless her to have a safe delivery.
- Tamboolam (Turmeric, Kukum, Betel leaves, betel nuts) will be given by the pregnant lady to all the women.Some will offer them blouse piece, sweet or fruits also.
- Husband will give saffron as gift to wife and bless her to have a safe delivery.
- Seemantham means uplifting the brain of the baby in the womb.
- By performing this kind of ceremony the pregnant lady will listen to good words of elders, the sounds of glass bangles, mind becomes purified by listening to the mantras. The happiness affects the baby in the womb.
- Elders advice the pregnant women to read and hear good stories, listen to pleasant music that soothes to stay away from the tensions and conflicts as the mother impact will be on the baby.
- Food has to be cooked as per the desire of the pregnant lady.
- Baby memory cells start activating after the completion of seven months of pregnancy. Thereafter, the unborn child can record sounds and vibrations from its surroundings.
- By doing this holy rituals baby can listen and become sharp and intellect.
- Holy bath will give mental strength to baby and the mother.
- The wrist part is always active on the human, so the pulse and heart beats are checked normally on the wrist to find out the health conditions. Bangles used by the woman are on the wrist part which has constant friction and the blood circulation level is increased. By wearing lots of bangles the nerves will keep the womb in active state. By this the womb muscles will function in a uniform way which creates a healthy atmosphere to an unborn child.
- Saffron will remove fuss and cough from chest of the unborn child and improves the color of skin texture of baby.